This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marea is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi.
We have focussed on some key concepts when doing this learning.
These are listed and explained in the table below.
give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.
The Proedure and the way of doing things while on a marae
The welcoming Ceremony for all the visitors.
The local people who have been to lots of maraes and are connected to the marare through family and association.
Visitors and new people to the marae
Rights and obligations, the main base to a marae.
The relationship between all the people to the marae and belonging.
Respect and manners given to the people who are older then you
Love, paying it forward and Respect towars everyone
See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.
Something I would like to learn more about the marae is What the powhiri is like and what they do during the ceremony.